I’m a total halloween nerd. I love dressing up and Halloween is a great excuse to get your DIY on and dress a bit mad. Here’s a few of my creations I’ve come up with in the past.
Ringmaster costume – I was invited to a Dark Circus party and made this costume the night before. The dark circus party was so much fun! The effort that went into every one of the guests costumes was just amazing. Take a look at their other events HERE
- Faux leather trousers from Topshop
- Hat from Claire’s accessorise
- Birds – christmas decorations from Paperchase
- Hobbs Red blazer – charity shop
- Black satin collar and ribbon around wrists – fabric shop
- Gold roped trim, shoulder tassel, gold buttons, jewell tassel lengths on basque – all from John lewis curtain and fabric section
- Basque from H&M
- and knee high black boots
Ninja costume – This is probably one of the fastest and cheapest costumes going. I was going to a house party and didn’t want to feel uncomfotable.
- Hood – This is a simple black mens t shirt, no modifying needed at all!
- I actually did have a ninja costume top but you can wear a plain black long sleeved top
- baggy black pants
- Red cotton ripped and frayed then wrapped around wrists, waist and ankles – fabric shop
- I tied a load of fake hair into my real hair to create a longer fishtail braid (might as well make this costume pretty!)
- Shoes were black nike high tops
Lion costume – I made this as a last minute costume that actually took me a while because I got the pants wrong more than once! Anyway all went well in the end, Although some people thought I was meant to be the cowardly lion from Wizard of Oz..
- Hair – This is a dark brown/red/blond mix curly wig, mixed in with my own hair.
- ears – I made these cute little ears and actually sewed them into the wig because an alice band couldn’t cut it, also i didn’t want it messing up my mane!
- The top was made in a bralet style shape, I added shoulder pads to make me look bigger (raawrr). I added a contrasting dark faux fur fabric on the front to make me look more mighty
- I made the pants tighter at the bottom and baggy on the top, I sewed folds in them to add volume to my thighs (not that I needed any more thigh…)
- the tail was sewn to my pants
- Shoes were from River Island but you could always paint an animal print onto some old shoes.
All of this fabric was from my local fabric shop. Most fabric shops stock loads of different prints and colours of faux fur.
Never underestimate the power of the glue gun!!! I was lost until I discovered my glue gun. You can make things in double the time.
Velcro is your best friend when you don’t have time for pattern cutting or creating the perfect fit