With most projects in life it’s important to have a goal and some kind of organisation going on. Without them it’s pretty hard to keep the ball rolling.
Last year was probably my most unhealthy yet. I very rarely exercised and I ate rather badly (although that was fun and yummy!) I started to notice the condition of my skin worsening and my hair went a bit blah, I also started to get a tummy. No longer can this go on, I thought!
So an important thing to remember is that you won’t see instant results so don’t give up if after 3 weeks you’re still seeing bloat and feeling like poo, persevere and it will happen
My little sister, who’s lost a tremendous amount of weight all through healthy diet and exercise said the one thing that kicked off her healthy lifestyle was when a doc made this simple statement “sometimes it’s ok to feel hungry you know”. From there something clicked and now she’s unstoppable! We turn to food when we’re bored, dissatisfied, sad and happy. One of the biggest reasons we eat badly is due to a lack of preparation and leaving it till you see red and reach for the snickers/cheese sandwich/crisps..
The guilt of unhealthy food choices can often lead to trying out Fad diets: There are SO many diets out there but diets are usually temporary and sometimes harmful. Yo yo dieting can ruin your metabolic system and your overall health. The best diet of all is a simple, healthy and balanced diet containing lots of dark greens, fruit, protein, starchy foods and water. There’s no point in investing all that time and hard work at the gym if you’re not fuelling your body with the correct nutrients.
Have a goal in mind –
- Why do you want to be fit?
- What areas do you want to work on?
- Realistically, what can you manage each day?
Research – Now you know what you’d like to improve/change do some research, there is a wealth of knowledge on fitness/nutrition blogs. You tube is a fantastic resource for tutorials and demonstrations!
YouTube fitness Channels I love!
Blogilates – Cassy Ho posts regular mini power workouts, great for when you’re in a rush in the morning. How could you not love this woman, she’s probably the happiest fitness guru on YouTube <3
Vicky Justiz – I like this girl because I feel like I’m getting a good lower body workout with her. The vids aren’t fancy but you ache afterward which is a winner! She also has a killer body which is all the motivation you need.
Have a plan for what you’re going to do in the gym – Back last year I would use the running machine, do a small amount of weight work then get bored and go home. Now I know exactly what I’m going to do in the gym because I know what results I aim to achieve and I’ve researched into how to target those areas. The burn you feel in your problem area from a correct workout is always a good ache!
Mix it up – This is important for two reasons 1. you’ll get bored doing the same routine and 2. Your muscles will get used to it and won’t work out as much as they did.
Keep a record of your fitness – One thing I like to do is add a coloured tab to my wall planner when I’ve completed a workout. It might sound silly but it’s like I’m rewarding myself when I’m done, seeing all the days I’ve put in at a glance really motivates me to keep going.
Keep a record of your meals too – My fitness pal is a fantastic app for this. I mentioned it a few posts ago here. You can track your exercise and water in take too so it’s an all around winner.
Be inspired – When I’m thinking of eating all the pies I shift my attention to what result I want to achieve, Instagram can be a great source of inspiration for recipes , search #cleaneating #fitness #fitspo
I swear by these tips to get me on track:
- Drink a load of water when you feel sluggish – This instantly motivates me to get up and be active. I’ve added a tall glass of water with squeezed lemon to my morning routine, this sets me up for the day.
- When you’re lacking in motivation, put on a song and continuously squat/do crunches/lunges from beginning to end, you’d be surprised how many squats you can fit in to a 3 1/2 minute tune.
- Brush your teeth. When I’m feeling like I want to snack on naughty foods brushing my teeth helps.
- Shop on a full stomach. Shopping when your hungry is lethal. You will want ALL of the bad food.
- Eat a fulfilling breakfast. Porridge oats with fruit and honey is hugely filling, comforting and satisfying, it also gives you a big energy boost.
- Visualise what you would like to feel and look, keep that in mind when You have a weak moment.
- Remember – it’s ok to have a naughty snack now and again. Depriving yourself completely will make you moody and more inclined to have a pig out sesh.
Have any health tips to share? Let me know and good luck!